Friday, August 24, 2012

Oatmeal Crusted Pizza

For the longest time I have been wanting to make homemade tortillas and pizza crust.  With one down, I heard the next is easier.  When I began my initial search I found countless recipes that required the dough to sit over night.  Although, I'm an extremely patient person when I find new recipes I get in the zone, ready to get my fingers dirty and begin a new tasty journey.  This one required a day, no bad, but I was destined to find one that was instant and I did, thanks to the help of ifood.tv.  With a few simple ideas I already had in mind for the toppings we I began making this outstanding, quick, and simple pizza recipe.

An excerpt from my food diary:
Curiosity is my heart with a dash of wonder I begin to my way to the kitchen.  Before I gather my ingredients, I glance out my kitchen window acknowledging the clean sun giving light to space.  The afternoon has arrived so I welcome it with a silent meditation on my deck.  With the help of JoJo my basset hound together we look at the plants, smell the still air that has no trace of existence until  my body welcomed its next breath of air.  I begin flooding my body with consciousness with every breath I take.  As I whisper "thank you" to the glorious masterpiece called Earth, I remind my dog how blessed I was to have a gorgeous addition to my already handsome family.  With all the gratitude one could possibly display, I close the patio door in silent awareness and begin cooking.

Oatmeal Crusted Pizza
Crust (this will make enough for 3 people)
  • 1 1/2 cup oat bran cereal
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/4 cup skim milk or water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil 



Toppings
  • 1 teaspoon ground oregano
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  • 1/8 cup parsley
  • 1/8 cup chopped red bell peppers
  • 1/8 cup chopped basil
  • 1 cup mozzarella
  • 1/8 cup favorite Marinara or pasta sauce

    Directions
    1)Pre-heat oven to 425.  In a large bowl combine oat bran cereal, flour, and baking powder together, stir until contents have been evenly mixed.  Stir in milk or water (I used water) and olive oil, keep mixing until it forms a sticky ball.  Let dough sit for 10-20 minutes.
    Note: Remove any jewelry, I got dough in my ring!
    2) When it's has sat long enough, transfer dough to a baking sheet, with oil on your fingers begin pressing dough and spreading it thin.  It will be sticky so your fingers are gonna get messy.  Put in oven for 18 minutes.
    3) In a smaller bowl combine topping ingredients in any order with oil topped last. Mix.
    4) Take a breather, indulge your senses in any scent that may be new to your environment.  Welcome them with love and presence.
    5) Once pizza dough is done, spread sauce and toppings on top of pre-baked dough, and toss mozzarella on top.  Stick in oven for 10 minutes at the same temperature.

    While enjoying your pizza or waiting for it in the oven.  I would like to reach out and hand you the opportunity to bring peace and stillness in your hearts.  While you wait if your alone or with a friend take some time to see what is going inside of your body, you are reading this, waiting for the pizza, but  most importantly you have this one beautiful life.  Give it attention.  This silent attention is of great gratitude and appreciation for what nature has gifted you with, the gift of life.

1 comment: