Friday, August 3, 2012

Breakfast Almond Pork Chop Bake with Cinnamon Yogurt Sauce

Pork chops...for breakfast.  My initial meal for the day desired a refreshing spin, retiring my egg and strawberry cinnamon breakfast sandwich.  So I paved my path by laying out ingredients that appealed to me most.  Almonds, cinnamon, apples.  But something, maybe it's my basset hound that looks like a hog, inspired me to take out pork.  So I did and ending up with a pleasurable outcome.
I will now share with you an entry from my food diary that I wrote before I entered my sanctuary.

Sitting in my dining room deciding what to make this morning.  Generally, I do yoga before breakfast but decided to push it to this afternoon.  There's not much that should be said when there is silence.  Remembering a past discussion with a colleague, we concluded that silence and space are indescribable, there is nothing to describe because it's nothing, but their power is unavoidable.  Silence defines the beauty of solidity, space is how it exists.  Taking a few deep breathes with my eyes close, I open them back and offer my silent presence in acceptance of this quiet gift.  I'm here, we're here, I'm in awe, and the environment remains undisturbed.  I begin recognizing the subtle noises, the fan cooling my body, the pendulum consistent with it's duties of undisturbed motion, rewarding me with a precious reminder of the unimportance of time.  Time is just a wall clock.  Time passes so vastly that we are to welcome the next moment with a fresh mind and a generous heart.  Every second is a new moment, without mentally recording time, start opening up your heart to the next moment.  Forfeit any attachment to any situation that has been lost and stored in our psychological archives and greet the next moment with love.  As you make your way to the kitchen, begin to empty your mind and relax your heart.  Let time pass in peace, and offer your appreciation with gentle action.  As you breath into each moment, treat it as an opportunity for renewal. If not there already, begin moving to your stove.  Introduce your body to the stove, with sweet recognition of your most important cooking tool, begin to flow conscious breaths through your body.  With your hands on your stomach, feel your abdomen open as your breathe, close your eyes if needed, and give attention to the energy in your hands.  The position of your hands, weight, sensations, without mental commentary, move your awareness to your stomach again, breathing in...and out...in and out.  As you remain aware of the breathing in your body comfortably realize that time is not important, set the timers accordingly but don't let it impact your actions.  Let your exercise be the flow of breaths as it relaxes every cell in your body. Let's begin.

Breakfast Almond Pork Chop Bake with Cinnamon Yogurt Sauce

Pork Chops
  • 1/2 lb Pork Chops
  • 1/4 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup almonds
  • 1 egg (1 more for fried egg)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 pinches pepper
Sauce
  • 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 tspn ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon nut meg
  • 1/4 tspn cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp butter
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2)Crush almonds in a food processor until finely chopped, transfer to plate.
 3)Add nut meg, brown sugar, and olive oil. Stir. In a separate bowl begin to beat the egg.  Pour over almond mix on plate and combine, stir.

4) Begin coating pork chop in mix, when the pork chop has been evenly coated, immediately place in medium hot skillet for 5 minutes per side.
5) Take the 10 minutes to focus on breathing, in and out of your body, relax your body and mind.  Give attention to your senses, the smell, noises from the skillet, the energy in your hands as it engages in this peaceful task.  Remaining aware of your body language, take out a small skillet for sauce.
6)Place pre-cooked chop on oil coated oven pan and bake for 10 minutes.
7)Bring all sauce ingredients to a boil on small skillet, evenly stir the mixture the moment the butter has melted.
 8)Once bubbling occurs, reduce heat and allow to simmer until ready to serve, stir occasionally.  Sauce should be a thick substance.
9) Serve with fried egg and fresh fruits.  I decorated my plate with cinnamon and drizzled the sauce over the fruit as well. Yummy.


 Still the mind, relax, breathe into your heart and body, give thanks to the flavors, love as you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment